Venezuela's Maduro survives 'drone assassination' attempt, blames Colombia
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said he was âmore determined than everâ after he escaped an âassassinationâ attempt using an explosive-laden drone as he gave a speech during a Caracas military parade.
The government said seven soldiers were wounded in the alleged attack Saturday, blamed on Colombia by Maduro and later claimed by a mysterious rebel group.
âI am fine, I am alive, and after this attack Iâm more determined than ever to follow the path of the revolution,â Maduro said defiantly of the incident, from which he escaped unharmed.
âJustice! Maximum punishment! And there will be no forgiveness,â he warned in an address to the nation, sparking fears of an anti-opposition offensive in a country already reportedly holding some 248 political prisoners.
Meanwhile, At torney General Tarek William Saab, also present at the parade, said those arrested in connection with the incident would be identified on Monday.
âThere will be a ruthless punishment,â he said.
Venezuelan state television images showed Maduro looking up disconcertedly in the middle of a speech having heard a bang, before members of the countryâs National Guard lined up in the parade suddenly scattered.
âIt was an attack to kill me, they tried to assassinate me today,â he said in a state broadcast, speaking of a âflying object (that) exploded in front of me.â
Communication Minister Jorge Rodriguez said there was âan explosive charge... detonated close to the presidential podiumâ and in several other spots along the parade held in central Caracas. Saab told CNN he saw a drone filming the event explode.
No drones could be seen in the television broadcast, which showed bodyguards jumping in front of Maduro to protect him with flexible ball istic shields. The broadcast was quickly cut.
Meanwhile, a policeman who requested anonymity told AFP that drones may have been released from a nearby apartment that suffered a fire after one exploded. However, other versions of events attributed the fire to the accidental explosion of a gas cylinder.
Investigators searched the blackened apartment building on Sunday. Authorities said they have arrested six "terrorists and hired killers" suspected in the attack using two explosives-laden drones.
Of the six arrested, Interior Minister Nestor Reverol said two had previously been detained in street protests. One was already wanted for involvement in a daring raid on a northern military base a year ago, in which rebels made off with a cache of weapons.
Venezuela has been periodically rocked by demonstrations over shortages of food and medical supplies that officials claim incite violence.
Reverol announced the arrests on state television, saying &q uot;several vehicles have been seized and hotel raids carried out in Caracas where important information was collected."
Reverol said the "assassination" attempt was carried out by two remotely operated drones and each carrying a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of plastic explosive C4 -- "capable of causing effective damage over a 50-meter (164 feet) radius."
He said one of the drones flew over the tribune where Maduro was giving a speech to mark a military parade but that it became "disoriented by signal inhibiting equipment" and was thus "activated outside the assassins' planned perimeter."
The second drone lost control and crashed in an adjacent building, Reverol added.
He said it was "a crime of terrorism and assassination" and that the "material and intellectual authors inside and outside the country" had been identified, with further arrests "in the coming hours" possible.
He sa id seven soldiers had been injured, with three of them in a critical state.
The government pointed the blame at âthe ultra-right wingâ its term for the opposition.
But Maduro himself said: âI have no doubt that the name (outgoing Colombian President) Juan Manuel Santos is behind this attack.â
He added investigations pointed to financial backers who âlive in the United States, in the state of Florida. I hope that President Donald Trump is ready to fight these terrorist groups.â
The Colombian foreign ministry denied involvement, saying the allegations were âabsurdâ and âlacked any foundations.â
A senior US State Department official said the White House was monitoring the situation closely, without commenting further. Elsewhere, Maduroâs allies Cuba and Bolivia condemned the incident.
Meanwhile, late Saturday, a civilian and military rebe l group calling itself the âNational Movement of Soldiers in T-shirtsâ claimed responsibility for the explosion.
âIt is contrary to military honor to keep in government those who not only have forgotten the Constitution, but who have also made public office an obscene way to get rich,â the group said in a statement passed to US-based opposition journalist Patricia Poleo, who read it on her YouTube channel.
âIf the purpose of a government is to achieve the greatest amount of happiness possible, we cannot tolerate that the population is suffering from hunger, that the sick do not have medicine, that the currency has no value, or that the education system neither educates or teaches, only indoctrinating communism,â the statement added.
The parade Maduro attended marked the one-year anniversary of the Constitutional Assembly, a legislative body packed with loyalists that arrogated powers from the opposition-ruled N ational Assembly.
Maduro has remained in power in oil-rich Venezuela despite a collapsing economy and a long-running political crisis that has seen the country isolated internationally.
Hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans have fled due to food and medicine shortages and hyperinflation that could reach one million percent this year, according to the International Monetary Fund.
Maduro, a 55-year-old Socialist leader who took over from his late mentor Hugo Chavez in 2013, has effectively sidelined the fractured opposition through control of the courts and the electoral body and undinting support from the military, which holds key posts in his government.
After the explosion, he ordered the military to be on âmaximum alert.â
He also warned the opposition that investigations will get to the bottom of the alleged attack, âwhoever fallsâ in the process.
Maduro often accuses the opposition and the United States of working together to foment a â coupâ to topple him.
This year he brought forward to May presidential elections boycotted by the opposition which handed him a new six-year term.
(FRANCE 24 with AP, AFP)
Date created : 2018-08-05Source: Google News Colombia | Netizen 24 Colombia